Primary Contact Info:
- The single author of 2 research articles
- The first author of three research articles published in The Internet and Higher Education & System
- The second author of a book chapter in Handbook of Distance Education (3rd, editor: M. G. Moore)
- The second author of a book chapter to appear in Edu. Media & Tech. Yearbook Volume 40
- A total of 93 citations based on Google Scholar Citations + 4 other citations
- A personal official invitation letter from editor-in-chief of a prestigious journal of online learning
- 2014-15 The Frank B. DeBruicker Graduate Scholarship/Award for research achievements
- Both a research and regular internship in Learning, Design and Technology
- Research assistant in Learning, Design and Technology program evaluation at Purdue
- Teaching assistant for hybrid/blended courses at Purdue
- Co-designer and co-instructor for a hybrid faculty development course at Purdue
- Purdue University, IN, USA
- PhD. & M.S.: Dep. of Curriculum & Instruction, Learning, Design and Technology (2010-2015)
- Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey
- Doctoral coursework in cognitive science (2009-2010)
- Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey
- M.A. & B.A.: Department of Foreign Language Education (2006-2009; 2001-2006)
PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
- Bahcesehir University, Istanbul, Turkey
- Assist. Prof. of Computer Education & Instructional Technology (9/15-present)
- Purdue University, IN, USA
- Graduate Assistant for Online Professional Development Initiative (06/14– 06/15)
- Research Assistant
- Learning, Design and Technology Assessment/Evaluation Project (06/12–01/14)
- Comcast Project (12/10–05/12)
- GERI (Gifted Education Research Institute) (06/11–05/12)
- MFRI research project (08/10–05/11)
- Teaching Assistant
- EDCI 270000, Introduction to Educational Technology and Computing (08/10–05/14)
- Regular Internship in Learning, Design & Technology with Dr. Jennifer C. Richardson (Fall ’13)
- Research Internship in Education with Dr. Aman Yadav and Dr. Timothy Newby (spring ‘12)
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY SERVICE
- Bahcesehir University (Spring 2017)
- EDT 6116 Cognition, Learning & Technology (blended/doctoral)
- EDT 5109 Human performance technology (online/grad)
- Bahcesehir University (Fall 2016)
- EDT 6103 Readings in educational technology(blended/doctoral)
- CET 2026 Instructional design (blended/undergrad)
- EDT 5103 Instructional design (online/grad)
- Bahcesehir University (2015-2016)
- CET 2020 Instructional Technologies and Material Design (f2f/undergrad)
- CET 3028 Multimedia Design and Production in Education (blended/undergrad)
- CET 2026 Instructional Design (blended/undergrad)
- EDT 5001 Educational Technology: Field, Theory & Profession (blended/grad)
- EDT 5103 Instructional Design (online/grad)
- Bahcesehir University (Spring 2017)
- Instructional Designer
- Bahcesehir University
CO-OP course: Learning design with Microsoft Technology
- Online learning modules
- Purdue University (2013-2015)
- EDCI 54900 – Assessment in Mathematics Education
- EDPS 59100 – Introduction to statistical reasoning in education research II
- Hybrid College of Education Faculty Training—Online Development Course
- Online professional development badge modules for graduate students using Passport,
- Bahcesehir University
- Dulgerci, G. (ongoing). The relation between personality traits and academic achievement in online learning environments. Unpublised MA Thesis, Bahcesehir University, Istanbul, Turkey
- Sari, I. (ongoing). The effects of digital formative assessment tools on EFL students’ academic vocabulary achievement. Unpublised MA Thesis, Bahcesehir University, Istanbul, Turkey
- Yildirim, D. (ongoing). The role of gamification in increasing 5th graders’ motivation and learning at a private school in Turkey. Unpublised MA Thesis, Bahcesehir University, Istanbul, Turkey
- Committee Member
- Varol, B. (2017). Annotation and working memory in second language reading, incidental vocabulary learning, and perceived cognitive load. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Bogazici Uni., Istanbul, Turkey.
- Akcay, S. Z. (2016). The role of using Facebook in an EFL learning context and students’ perceptions of it: A case study. Unpublised MA Thesis, Bahcesehir University, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Altinisik, H. Z. (ongoing). A multiple case study: Identifying innovational capacities of TVET schools in Turkey. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Bahcesehir Uni., Istanbul, Turkey.
- AERA 2017
- The Internet and Higher Education (2 articles)
- The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning (2 articles)
- Educational design and evaluation graduate program, Bahcesehir Uni. (2016-…)
- Part-time English teacher 5th, 6th, 7th, & 8th graders, Sariyer Bil, Istanbul, Turkey (’07-’09)
- Learning design with local teachers, Sisli Municipality, Istanbul, Turkey, (Sept. ’16)
- Technology leaders and technology integration, Bahcesehir College, Istanbul, Turkey (Spr. ’16)
- Vice President, Purdue Turkish Student Association, Purdue Uni., IN, USA (Fall ‘13)
- Secretary, Purdue Association of Educational Technology (PAET), Purdue Uni., (’11-’12)
- Trainer and Volunteer, Project Tech “Juvenile Kids Gaming Lab”, Purdue Uni., (Sum. ’11)
- WordPress Trainer, Career and Technical Education Workshop, Purdue Uni., (Sum. ’11)
PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
- Journal Articles
- Kozan, K. (2016a). A comparative structural equation modeling investigation of the relationships among teaching, cognitive, and social presence. Online Learning, 20(3), 210-227.
- Kozan, K. (2016b). The incremental predictive validity of teaching, cognitive and social presence on cognitive load. The Internet and Higher Education, 31, 11-19.
- Kozan, K., Erçetin, G., & Richardson, J.C. (2015). Input modality and working memory: Effects on second language text comprehension in a multimedia learning environment. System, 55, 63-73.
- Kozan, K., & Richardson, J.C. (2014a). Interrelationships between and among social, teaching, and cognitive presence. The Internet and Higher Education, 21, 68-73.
- Kozan, K., & Richardson, J.C. (2014b). New Exploratory and Confirmatory Factor Analysis Insights into the Community of Inquiry Survey. The Internet and Higher Education, 23, 39-47.
- Book chapters
- Richardson, J. C., & Kozan, K. (in press). Digging deeper into online learning communities at Purdue: Research-informed insights into both theory and practice. To appear in Educational Media and Technology Yearbook Volume 40.
- Kim, M.C., Kozan, K., Kim, W., & Koehler, A. A. (2013). Technology integration: From implementation to dynamic scaffolding. In M. Moore (Ed.), Handbook of distance education (pp. 299-315). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Conference (online) proceedings
- Kozan, K . (2016). The predictive validity of the presences for germane cognitive load? The AERA Online Paper Repository (pp. 1-12).
- Kozan, K. (2015). How does cognitive load relate to teaching, social and cognitive presences? The AERA Online Paper Repository (pp. 1-19).
- Kozan, K. & Richardson, J. (2014). The modality effect and foreign language proficiency. The AERA Online Paper Repository (pp. 1-14).
- Richardson, J., Kozan, K., Mutlu, N. & Yu, T. (2013). On the relationships between and among teaching presence, social presence, and cognitive presence. The AERA Online Paper Repository (pp. 1-7).
- Kozan, K. (2010). May bimodal presentation involve more cognitive load in a computerized L2 multimedia environment? Proceedings of IETC 2010 International Educational Technology Conference (pp.935-938), Boğaziçi University, İstanbul, Turkey.
PEER REVIEWED PRESENTATIONS
- Kozan, K. (2017). Implications of measuring cognitive load in a fully online learning experience. Accepted to be presented at AERA 2017, San Antonio, TX, USA.
- Hurioglu, L., Ata, A., & Kozan, K. (2017). Teacher self-evaluation: A factor analysis. Presented at 12th International Congress on Educational Administration, Ankara, Turkey.
Kozan, K. (2016). How do teaching, cognitive and social presencere late to intrinsic and extraneous loads in a fully online learning experience? AECT 2016, Oct. 19, Las Vegas, USA.
- Kozan, K. (2016). The predictive validity of the presences for germane cognitive load. AERA 2016, April 12, Washington DC, USA.
- Kozan, K. & Richardson, J. (2015). The interdependence between teaching, cognitive and social presence: One or more structural equation models? AECT 2015, Nov. 5, Indianapolis, IN, USA.
- Kozan, K. (2015). How Does Cognitive Load Relate to Teaching, Social and Cognitive Presences? AERA 2015, April 19, Chicago, IL, USA.
- Kozan, K. & Richardson, J. (2015). New Exploratory and Confirmatory Factor Analysis Insights into the Community of Inquiry Survey. The Communities of Inquiry Research and Practice Webinar Series 2015, March 4.
- Kozan, K. & Richardson, J. (2014). The modality effect and foreign language proficiency. AERA 2014, April 6, Philadelphia, PA, USA.
- Kozan, K. & Yadav, A. (2014). Video-based versus text-based instruction: Some cognitive load insights. AECT 2014, Nov. 7, Jacksonville, FL, USA.
- Kozan, K. (2013). Instructional methods and type of technologies: Their potentially innovative relation to learning, teaching, research and theory. AECT 2013, Oct. 30-Nov. 3, Anaheim, CA, USA.
- Richardson, J. C., Kozan, K., Mutlu, N., & Yu, T. (2013). On the relationships between and among teaching presence, social presence, and cognitive presence. AERA 2013, April 29, San Francisco, California, USA.
- Ercetin, G., & Kozan, K. (2012). Multimodality and Working Memory: Effects on L2 Text Comprehension. TESOL Convention, March 29, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA.
- Kozan, K. (2012). The modality effect in an L2 context: Immediate and delayed effects of L2 proficiency, presentation mode and working memory capacity on retention and transfer of information from an expository text in the L2. The 5th International Cognitive Load Theory Conference, April 9, Florida State Uni., USA.
- Kozan, K., Ruggiero, D., & Watson, B. (2012). Cognitive load and working memory: An exploratory study on cognitive load anatomy of a computerized reading span test. The 5th International Cognitive Load Theory Conference, April, 11, Florida State Uni., USA.
- Ruggiero, D., Garcia B., & Kozan, K. (2012). Project Tech: Design with Games for Juvenile Offenders. AECT 2012, Oct. 30- Nov. 3, Louisville, Kentucky, USA.
- Kozan, K. (2010). May bimodal presentation involve more cognitive load in a computerized L2 multimedia environment? IETC 2010 International Educational Technology Conference, April 26-28, Boğaziçi Uni., İstanbul, Turkey.
GRANTS, HONORS, AWARDS & SCHOLARSHIPS
- Developing a national adaptive skill and talent diagnosis tool (2015-16; shortlisted together with another competitor but rejected at the final stage). TUBITAK (The Scientific and Research Council of Turkey) Project. Grant writer & researcher, Bahcesehir Uni., Istanbul, Turkey. Amount requested: $ 2.350.000
- The Frank B. DeBruicker Graduate Scholarship in Educational Technology, 2014-2015, Purdue Uni., IN, USA
- Purdue Research Foundation (PRF) Grant, 2013, Using the Community of Inquiry Framework to Increase Student Learning Outcomes, Contributor & Research Assistant, Purdue Uni., IN, USA
- High Honors Degree Certificate, 2006, with a GPA “3.53” out of “4.00”, ranked 7th , Bogazici Uni., Istanbul, Turkey.
- Ministry of National Education Scholarship, 2001-2006, Turkey
- AECT (Association for Educational Communications and Technology)
- AERA (American Educational Research Association)
PROFESSIONAL RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Human Learning
- Working memory and working memory load
- Conceptual understanding
- Transfer of learning
- Adaptive expertise
- Implicit learning
- Biologically primary and secondary information processing
- Learning communities of inquiry and presence
- Instructional design and technology integration
- Human-technology interaction
- Human performance technology and improvement
- Evaluation reports
- Richardson, J.C., Yu, T., Kozan, K., Olesova, L. & Koehler, A. (June 2011). Determining the impact of Xfinity on Demand video supplements on learning 6th grade science (pp. 1-65). West Lafayette, IN, USA: Purdue Universiy.
- Kozan, K. (2015). The predictive power of the presences on cognitive load. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Purdue Uni., West Lafayette, IN, USA.
- Kozan, K. (2009). Effects of multimedia modality and L2 working memory capacity on L2 comprehension. Unpublished A. Thesis, Boğaziçi Uni., Istanbul, Turkey.
- Computer Knowledge
- Excellent command of Microsoft Office, SPSS, LISREL
- Fair command of AMOS, NVivo, JASP
- Familiar with Photoshop, Adobe Fireworks, Camtasia, SnagIt, RStudio
- Stukel Distinguished Professor, Karen Swan, Uni. of Illinois, Committee Member,e-mail: email@example.com
- Prof. Dr. Aman Yadav, Michigan State Uni., Educational Psychology & Educational Technology, Course Instructor, Research Internship Supervisor, Committee Member,email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prof. Dr. Jennifer C. Richardson, Purdue University, Learning, Design and Technology, Academic Advisor and Doctoral Committee Chair, email: email@example.com
- Prof. Dr. Timothy Newby, Purdue Uni., Learning, Design and Technology, Course Instructor, Teaching Assistant Supervisor, Committee Member, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Yukiko Maeda, Purdue Uni., Educational Psychology and Research Methods, Course Instructor, email: email@example.com
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Gulcan Ercetin, Bogazici Uni., Dept. of Foreign Language Education, Course Instructor, MA Advisor, Co-Author, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please click on Kadir Kozan-CV to download the PDF version